Every year students are encouraged to set goals for the year. But we don’t always explain why setting goals is important.

Research has shown that people who set goals (and use them effectively) not only perform better, but suffer from less stress and anxiety and are happier and more satisfied with life.

In 1953 a Harvard Uni study showed that 3% of the students graduating that year wrote down their specific career goals.

Twenty years later, a team of researchers interviewed the class and found that the 3% who had written down their goals were worth more financially than the other 97% combined!

In 1953 a Harvard Uni study showed that 3% of the students graduating that year wrote down their specific career goals. Twenty years later, a team of researchers interviewed the class and found that the 3% who had written down their goals were not only happier, but were worth more financially than the other 97% combined.

Here are some more reasons why you might like to set some goals for the year:

  • Setting goals gets you to think about possibilities.
  • Goals give you a direction to work towards.
  • Goals give you a clear picture of where you want to go.
  • Goals help you to push yourself just that little bit more.
  • Goals help you have a more fun and fulfilled life.
  • Goals can give you motivation and focus.
  • Setting goals helps you do all the things you want to do in life!

You have probably set many goals already without even realising it – not every goal has to be written down but it certainly helps you to stay on track if you do write it out. You can set goals for all the different aspects of your life.

Remember, if you don’t set goals you’ll find that life just sort of ‘happens’ to you rather than you actually deciding what you want out of life then making what you really want happen!  So get in the driver’s seat of your life and take control with your goals this year.