By now we are all starting to get a bit more used to different modes of learning. If you are still
finding it challenging to stay focused in online lessons, here are some tips to help you:
1. Have clear distinctions between schoolwork time and your personal time. If you let
those two worlds collide you will end up never really feeling like you can have time to
yourself without feeling guilty. Then in the learning times you can make a more
conscious effort to stay on track.
2. If you know you can’t stay focused in your bedroom, then do your learning in another
part of the house where someone can check up on you. Working in an area of the
house where you will be supervised can help you stay on track.
3. Take notes when you are listening to the teacher talk or make a mind map about
what is being discussed in the lesson. If you are writing about what you are learning it
will help you to be more focused.
4. Turn off all notifications and make sure your mobile is on silent (or preferably in
another room). Don’t have other windows or applications open on your computer.
Take away the temptation so you don’t send messages to other students or work on
other tasks during a lesson when you are meant to be focused.
5. Every 20 minutes look away at something 20 feet (about 6 metres) away for 20
seconds to reduce eye strain. Stand up and stretch if you need to.